EB5 – Everything You Should Know About the US Investor Visa
- What is the EB-5 Visa?
- Benefits of the EB-5 Investor Visa to the Investor
- How to Apply for EB-5 Visa?
The United States of America remains to be one of the most preferred destinations for investors. The country offers a transparent and predictable legal system, excellent infrastructure, low taxes, and a lucrative consumer market – ensuring outstanding opportunities for investors. The US investor visa, EB5, provides a simple and efficient way for foreign investors to invest in the country and obtain permanent residency in a short time period.
In this blog, we will discuss everything you need to know about the EB-5 Immigrant Investor Program.
The EB-5 is an Employment Fifth Preference (E5) Immigrant Investors visa that allows immigrant investors to enter the U.S. and invest in commercial enterprises. Such investment should be beneficial to the country in the form of capital investment and job creation. Obtaining the visa allows you to apply for permanent residence (Green Card) and live permanently in the United States.
To qualify for the US investor visa, you need to fulfill the following requirements:
- Make a minimum qualifying capital investment of $1,000,000; or $500,000 in a rural or high-unemployment area, which is regarded as a targeted employment area.
- Within 2 years, the qualifying investment must create at least 10 full-time job opportunities for U.S. citizens, lawful permanent residents of the United States, or immigrants who are legally authorized to work in the country. This should not include the investor and his/her spouse or children.
- Such investment must be beneficial for the U.S. economy in the form of goods and services catering to domestic markets.
- You must source the investment only through legal means; it should not be borrowed. However, the investment can be done through a tangible property that you own as an asset or as an inventory.
- The investment can be in cash or cash equivalents, such as treasury bonds or certificates of deposit.
Once you obtain the EB-5 visa, you are granted the right to live, study, and work permanently in the USA. However, the investor must live in the U.S. for at least 6 months every year. If you already have a US investor visa, you do not need to apply for a permanent work visa separately.
Outlined here are the benefits you get from investing in the U.S:
- Apply for permanent residency or Green Card
- Access to Social Security Number (SSN)
- An opportunity to access the top-notch education system in the U.S.
- Access to Medicare
- Childcare services benefits
- Do not require visa sponsorship.
- You can include your spouse and dependent, unmarried children under 21 years
- Minimum application requirements: you do not require any particular language proficiency or business experience.
If you are not sure whether your investment qualifies, get professional immigration visa services.
Discussed here are the steps to apply for the EB-5 investor visa:
- File Form I-526 Immigrant Petition by Alien Entrepreneur with the USCIS. The USCIS must approve the petition before you can apply for a US investor visa.
- Once the petition is approved, it will be sent to the National Visa Center, where the petition will get a case number. When the priority date of the applicant meets the qualifying date, you will be required to complete Form DS-261.
- Next, you will need to pay a fee and submit all required immigrant visa documents. These include:
- A passport that is valid for at least 6 months beyond the planned date of entry into the country
- Form DS-260 application
- Civil documents, such as marriage and birth certificates, etc.
- Documentation validating a strong financial background
- Completed medical examination forms
- Once you submit all the documents, NVC will schedule an interview appointment and also provide guidance regarding a medical examination.
- Complete the interview, medical examination, and vaccinations.
The time your US investor visa will take varies from case to case. However, employment-based immigrant investor visas take more time due to the limited visa category. Some visa cases get delayed because instructions are not followed carefully. Make sure you get an expert visa and immigration services to complete the process successfully and get the EB-5 investor visa.
We are Ready to Help You
With our experienced immigration and business lawyers, marketing experts, and business advisors, Liberty Business is here for you and your company for all kinds of legal support with our professional and transparent business approach in the following areas.
- Real Estate Services
- Brand Registration, Copyright, Trademark and Patent Services
- Immigration and Visa Services