US Tourist Visa – Eligibility, Requirements, and Process
- Who is the B2 Visitor Visa For?
- Eligibility Requirements for B2 Visitor Visa
- Documentation Required to Apply for B2 Visitor Visa
- How to Apply for B2 Visa?
Looking to travel to the U.S. for tourism? Visiting family and friends? You must obtain a US tourist visa if you are visiting the country for non-business purposes, particularly tourism. The term “tourism” encompasses a short visit to the United States for vacation, to visit friends and family, or for medical purposes.
The U.S. Department of State – Bureau of Consular Affairs offers the B2 visitor visa to foreign nationals traveling to the country for tourism purposes. In this blog, we will understand more about the visitor visa, its eligibility requirements, documentation, and process.
The B2 visitor visa is for foreign nationals visiting the United States for purposes mentioned herewith –
- Visiting family and friends
- Vacation (holiday)
- Getting medical treatment
- Participating in different social events such as social, fraternal, or service organizations
- Participating in recreational courses of study, which do not credit toward any degree. For example, a short cooking class while on your holiday
However, you cannot apply for a US tourist visa for the sole purpose of giving birth in the country to get U.S. citizenship for the child. On the other hand, citizens traveling from participating countries do not require a visa to visit the U.S. for tourism purposes. They can enter through the visa waiver program.
To apply for this tourist visa, you have to provide evidence that you qualify for it according to the U.S. Immigration and Nationality Act (INA). This can be done in the following ways:
- Validate the purpose for which you plan to visit the country
- Prove that you will stay in the country only for a limited time period
- Attending business meetings or conferences
- Provide evidence that you have sufficient financial resources to cover your expenses while staying in the United States
- Prove that you have permanent residence outside the United States. Additionally, you will need to validate that you have social and economic ties for which you will need to leave the country when the vacation ends
To apply for the US tourist visa, you will also need to prove that you are not visiting the United States to engage in business operations or provide services that will benefit a U.S.-based employer.
Not sure if you are eligible for a B2 visitor visa? Get professional immigration visa services that will help you navigate through the process and apply for the right type of U.S. visa.
When applying for the visa, you will need to provide the following documents when you come for the visa interview:
- A valid passport
- Completed DS-160 form
- Receipt of visa application fee payment
- A copy of your appointment letter
- Travel itinerary and other documented evidence validating your short-term trip to the U.S.
- Current proof of income, assets, ownership of property or business, or tax payments
Discussed here are the steps to apply for a US tourist visa:
- Complete the online application form DS-160. Read the guidelines carefully and provide accurate information. You will also need a photo in the specified format. Once you complete the form, take a printout of the confirmation page.
- Pay the application fee online and take a printout of the payment confirmation page.
- Schedule your visa appointment. You will need to schedule two appointments – first for the interview at the Embassy or Consulate, and second for the visa application center. To schedule an interview, you will need to provide your valid passport number, the barcode number on the confirmation page of your DS-160 form, and the date on which you paid the fees.
Once you complete the visa process and attend the interview, you will receive the visa provided you meet the specified criteria. However, obtaining a US tourist visa does not guarantee your entry into the country. It entirely depends on the U.S. Customs and Border Protection officials and the Department of Homeland Security to grant permission or deny your entry into the United States.
For a hassle-free visa experience, ensure working with a professional visa and immigration services. However, make sure you choose an immigration lawyer carefully to help navigate the process.
We are Ready to Help You
With our experienced immigration and business lawyers, marketing experts, and business advisors, Liberty Business is here for you and your company for all kinds of legal support with our professional and transparent business approach in the following areas.
- Real Estate Services
- Brand Registration, Copyright, Trademark, and Patent Services
- Immigration and Visa Services