Comprehensive Guide to Summer Work and Travel USA Program
Summer Work and Travel USA program is a specially designed exchange program for foreign students. Approved and supported by the US government, the program enables full-time college students to work in the country during their summer break and then use a month after that for traveling.
The primary aim of this program is to help students broaden their perspective, improve their English language, absorb the culture, lifestyle, and customs of the USA and build a network of peers.
In today’s article, we will help you understand everything about the program as well as enlist the many benefits of opting for it. So, let’s begin.
What is a Summer Work and Travel USA Program?
This Work and Travel program is developed and regulated by the US Department of State. The unique program offers an excellent opportunity for foreign students to live and work in the United States during their summer break.
Via this program, they can get exposed to new kinds of people and experience a different way of life. At the same time, they can work to earn enough money to cover their expenses, and sometimes, even end up saving some money for their future.
Are There Any Requirements Summer Work and Travel USA Program?
The individuals who choose to apply for the Work and Travel program must be post-secondary students in an educational institute outside the US who have completed at least one semester of post-secondary study.
Additionally, they must fulfill the following criteria:
- Between the ages of 18 and 30
- They can showcase a high level of adaptability and maturity
- Proficient in spoken and written English
- Are available to work for a minimum period of 3 months
Participants of the program are allowed to work for up to 4 months, starting from May 15 to October 01. They are also typically permitted a grace period of 30 days to travel in the United States after the program comes to an end.
Note: The participants of this program are not issued a permanent work visa. Instead, they are given a J-1, i.e. Exchange Visitor visa.
What are the Benefits of Opting for the Summer Work and Travel Program?
Enrolling in a Work and Travel USA program is a lifetime opportunity for many students. Let us look at the most noteworthy benefits of enrolment.
- To earn money: This is one of the foremost benefits of enrolling in the program. All participants get a fair and equal opportunity to earn money which is mostly enough to cover the program and living expenses. In many cases, students can earn a respectable amount of money that also covers their travel and future academic fees.
- To gain valuable experience: Nowadays, most companies are looking to hire individuals who have experience working in a multicultural environment. So enrolling in the Work and Travel program will certainly add to your resume and make you a much more attractive employee.
- To become independent: A large number of participants claim that one of the biggest benefits of the program is independence. They get to live independently, away from their comfort zone for almost 5 months which offers many valuable life lessons.
- To meet new friends: The program enables the participants to meet, live, work, and interact with a whole new bunch of people. Most of these people come from varied parts of the world. Thus, participants not only get exposed to so many new people, but they also forge meaningful relationships that last for a lifetime.
How to Apply for the Summer Work and Travel Program?
If you wish to apply for the Summer Work and Travel program, you need to get in touch with the immigration visa services agency to apply for the J1 visa. This exchange visitor visa lets you visit the US for a temporary stay.
If you are interested in pursuing the program, you will have to follow the below-mentioned steps:
- Find a J sponsor who is designated by the US Department of State and apply with them.
- Apply for the DS-2019 Form, also identified as the Document of Eligibility for Exchange Visitor Status.
- Pay a SEVIS I-90 fee to the DHS, i.e. Department of Homeland Security as a part of the application process.
- Finally, interview with a US Embassy or Consulate to get the final approval.
The Summer Work and Travel USA program is a brilliant opportunity for all those looking to learn and widen their perspective. Every year, the program draws thousands of students from across the world. You can get in touch with a good work permit agency to initiate your application process.
We are Ready to Help You
You may need assistance with the following issues during the establishment of your business, the running of business operations, or the stages of closing your business.
- Create a Business Plan
- Choose a Business Structure
- Choose a Location
- Finance Your Business
- Building Permits and Inspections
- Buy an Existing Business
- Licensing and Certification Guide
- Business Resources
- Starter Kits
- Register Your Business
- Hire Employees
- Filings and Accounting
- Business Preparedness
- Manage Employees
- Closing Your Business
- Paying Taxes
- Contract with the State
- Market Your Business
- Open Another Location
Expert lawyers and professional consultancy save you time and money at these stages. We are always ready to help you.
To start and run your business in the USA, you need a lot of documentation to be prepared. When you need business licenses and permits, we can help you. You cannot be an expert in every subject you need. An expert consulting firm you can trust will save you time and money.